Whether an employee is handling heavy machinery or filing spreadsheets on a computer, clear vision is necessary to get the job done as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Protect your eyes by using the correct PPE
• Wear eyewear properly and tinted (if required) for the particular job you are working at
• Wear eye protection when working with power tools (grinding or welding) and chemicals
• Keep your eye protection clean
• Watch out for falling or flying objects that can go into the eyes.
For lots of us our job requires us to sit at a desk and stare at a computer most of the day during the traditional five-day work week.
The sedentary workplace takes a toll not only on a person’s overall body, but specifically on their eyesight and vision health.
Tips to Ease eye strain
• Limit screen time on cellphones, computers, TV, tablets.
• Adopt a good posture at the computer. Straighten up: Adjust your chair so that your legs are at a right angle with your knees and arms near your sides. Your shoulders and neck should be relaxed, with your back supported and wrists slightly pointed down.
• Face forward: Have your computer screen and keyword directly in front of your face, not off to the side. For double screen users, do not use the side screen as your primary screen of choice. Sit at arm’s length from the computer screen
• Avoid glares and reflections
• Adjust your display setting to help reduce eye strain and fatigue
• Take breaks from you screen by using the 20-20-20 rule. Look away from the screen every 20minutes for 20secounds and focus on objects 20 feet away.
• Eyes ahead: Keep your computer screen positioned at your focal length so you can focus easily. This may include raising your computer on a platform to ensure that you are not constantly looking downward or upward, but rather straight forward.
• Organize your space: Arrange the documents in your vicinity around your computer so you can see them easily, rather than having to bend or twist to read or focus.
We offer vision screening on-site or at our practices.
Our clients also enjoy the benefit of prescription safety glasses being custom made to your specifications.
Written by Sr Belinda Walters-Girout