This raises concerns as to the mental wellbeing of South Africans and highlights the need for employers to help employees with much needed assistance, by providing for employee workplace counselling via an Employee Assistance Programme.
What is Employee Workplace Counselling?
Employee Workplace Counselling is the provision, confidential and short term periodic psychological therapy for employees, paid for by an employer, usually as part of an Employee Assistance Programme. This allows an employee a safe place to discuss any issues they may be struggling with. This service usually includes both in-person counselling as well as a telephonic helpline.
Employee Workplace Counselling can be seen as a tool used to increase the quality of your workforce leaving your work environment more positive and stress free.
The Counselling Process:
The counselling process is about providing a sounding board for an employee, giving them a safe place to talk about issues that trouble them, and allowing counsellors to help them find their own solutions to problems or develop better ways to manage issues. It is not about giving advice, but about providing a non-judgmental, empathic and accessible means to allow an employee to find a way forward.
Benefits of Employee Workplace Counselling:
Employee Workplace Counselling services can play a powerful role in supporting a healthy work environment. A 2012 study that looked at the outcome of over 28,000 clients who participated in counselling through their workplace showed that 70 percent experienced improvement after their counselling services.
Benefits to employees include:
- Free access to counselling services they otherwise may not have had
- Assistance for employees to better understand themselves and situations
- Help for employees to cope with stressful situations
- Assistance for employees in decision making
- Improvement of coping skills
Benefits to employers include:
- Decreased employee absenteeism
- Improved employee productivity, performance and attitude
- Lower employee turnover
- An improved more positive work environment
HSP has developed Mind Matters Employee Counselling Solutions to assist employers with counselling options for their employees including but not limited to:
- 24/7 Counselling Contact Call Centre
- Online Chat Counselling
- Face to Face counselling (on-site or off-site)
- Trauma Debriefing
- Management Consultation and Referrals
- Retrenchment debriefing
Request your obligation free counselling quote here.